terça-feira, março 03, 2009

Gary Barlow - Kilimanjaro

Gary's diary of the trek:
Día 2

"THIS has been a long day of walking – seven hours in total and I think we all have aching legs – most of us are walking with two poles because the terrain is so steep and rocky.
The girls tend to lead and us boys follow up behind – I slow them down because my back is probably a three out of ten.
But everyone is brilliant – especially the guides – and all the girls keep offering to take my day pack from me, bless them.
We were all making each other laugh as we walked by replicating the sounds we make on the BT Speaking Clock and adding new ones – both artificial and natural (we had beans last night).
The scenery is spectacular – we walked across one of the biggest ridges, the remnants of an old volcano crater.
We are at about 11,500ft now and you can really tell that the air is getting thinner and the temperature is colder.
There have been a few headaches but we are spurred on by photos Denise Van Outen and Fearne Cotton have of children they met who are dying from malaria.
The end of the walk was in rain so we all reached camp tired and wet.
Then, just as we were getting ready to collapse in the mess tent, the clouds parted and we had the most beautiful view of the summit for the first time."



Día 1


"WAKE up at 5am for a hearty breakfast of porridge and eggs on toast before setting off into the rainforest for the first leg of the trek.
It’s very steep and I’m having to use two poles for my back – but I’m told it will loosen up after the first day’s climb.
We saw some colobus monkeys but we had to be careful to avoid ant nests.
Tucked into a packed lunch of sandwich, chocolate bar, banana, carrot sticks, boiled egg and a tropical fruit drink.
We only walked for four hours today because of the intense heat and steep incline.
Set up camp for the night at the Big Tree Camp at 9,000ft.
Dinner is hot soup to rehydrate, pasta for carbohydrates and lots of drinks.
Soon it will be time to retire to my tent for my first night of kip on Kilimanjaro.
I’ll have more updates for you tomorrow."


Fonte: The Sun

Sem comentários: